The Acropolis of Kavala, built around the first quarter of 15th century, stands at the top of Panagia peninsula where the old town is situated. It was built on the remains of the Byzantine Acropolis of Christoupolis (former name of Kavala) which was destroyed in 1391, incorporating parts that survived from it. The various fortification interventions are quite obvious and were carried out by Byzantines, Venetians and Ottomans.
The entire Acropolis is built with local granite stone, mixed with marble and bricks. From the main gate, one can see the division between the internal and external enclosure by a transverse wall. The internal enclosure was the most crucial part of the Acropolis, as it enclosed the vital defense facilities.