The monument was constructed in the mid-2000s and placed in the grove of Santa Paraskevi in the city center. The intention of the Municipality was to honor the approximately 1350 Jews of Komotini, victims of the Holocaust of the 2nd world war. The Jews of Komotini gathered unannounced on 4 March 1943 by the Bulgarian occupation authorities and transferred to the Danube port of Lom in Bulgaria. There were loaded into three barges from which one immediately sank, dragging the third (...)
Jewish Komotini to a watery grave. The rest were transported to Treblinka in Poland finding tragic death in the Nazi crematoria.