to light by the excavations of archaeological research and kept in museums. For 2500 years the city was developed within the limits of ancient and Byzantine walls of an area, of 13 hectares. The city, only in the early 16th century, extends a little outside of it, and now includes a trapezoidal and flat piece of land next to the sea and a harbor area of 4 hectares. These limits and the total area of 17 hectares reserved until 1865-1870. Point in the history of the city - the peninsula of Panagia of 1391. Christoupoli was occupied by the Ottomans, incurs major disasters and for several decades carries the signs of decay, abandonment, and perhaps complete desolation. After rebuilding the citadel (1425) the area of the peninsula is essentially a castle with exclusively military character.
Service Unit: 12th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities